Monday, February 16, 2009

Lost song of the day

- Calexico -- "Cruel" off Garden Ruin


A few months ago, friend of the blog McGriff implored me to drop whatever I was doing and buy the new Calexico album.  Fortunately for me, I had already illegally downloaded it so I was all set, but it took me about 3 months to actually listen to it, which I did yesterday while resting after a long and painful run.

The album, Carried to Dust, is very good, and continues along Calexico's previous trail of "Indie-Mariachi", which is essentially lyric driven soft music with lots of instruments, lots of brass, and the occasional appearance of a maraca.  As I listened to the album, I dozed off and woke up listening to Cruel, which had been released on Garden Ruin in 2006, an album I also own, but quite predictably, had not taken the time to listen to in its entirety.

This song fits in perfectly with the rest of Garden Ruin, including my favorite songs of theirs All Systems Red, and Panic Open String.  It doesn't really break any new ground, but I really got stuck on the opening instrumental section and the buildup starting in the final 1:20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home